OTT Tänak’s win at ADAC Rally Deutschland has upset the WRC’s points applecart, throwing the M-Sport youngster into potential contention for the coveted WRC driver’s crown.
Only his second victory for the year, Tänak took charge of the German event, leading a charge that saw Sébastien Ogier finish third.
This was the last remaining rally on the WRC calendar for M-Sport to win, team principal Malcolm Wilson having “ticked all the boxes”.
Where does this leave Kennards Hire Rally Australia in terms of a winner?
With only two rallies to go before the season closer, it’s anyone’s guess as to how the championship will play out.
Will the World Rally Champion be crowned on the streets of Coffs Harbour?
Our bet is yes! And here are the reasons:
- There are four drivers with mathematical chances of winning – Ogier, Thierry Neuville, Tänak and Jari-Matti Latvala.
- Latvala (Toyota) is an outside chance, although he is a good performer in Australia. He will have to win the two next events to have any chance.
- Tanak (M-Sport) is on form and is a known performer on tarmac and the next rally is the only mixed-surface event on the calendar. He can be expected to fight for the lead. His grade point average finish is 3.6
- The cars at the next event, Rally Catalunya, have to convert from gravel spec to tarmac spec in a longer than usual evening service break after the first full day. Adaptability will be the key.
- Ogier won the Catalunya rally in 2016, showing his mastery of mixed-surface events. his average finishing position is 2.4.
- Neuville, has the best chance of taking the crown from Ogier. He is only one win behind him. Can he take the win? Maybe! Is the car good enough? Yes, it is. His average is 8.9…
- Marring any disasters at the next two rallies, the outcome of the World Rally Championship is far from decided and that will push these drivers to the limit and beyond on tricky Coffs Harbour roads.
- Experts like Sébastien Loeb have been caught out by road surface changes and with Kennards Hire Rally Australia contested in November, an afternoon storm is never out of the question, bringing quickly-changing conditions.
The 2017 teams are competing in the most spectacular form of motorsport there is. In November it’s Australia’s turn to see the most spectacular motorsport up close and as real as it gets.
The WRC stars drive at a pace that must be seen to be believed. Seasoned rally competitors returned recently from spectating at Rally Finland and they are still raving about the action.
Kennards Hire Rally Australia has great viewing every day of the event, with a fabulous two-for-one offer available for spectators. Get in quick as this offer will end soon and it’s your best chance to save money to see the best motorsport competition in Australia this year.
To buy tickets: rallyaustralia.com.au/ticket-offer-limited