OTT Tänak dominated Neste Rally Finland to secure his second FIA World Rally Championship victory of the season on Sunday afternoon.
The Estonian tamed the fastest rally on the calendar in his Toyota Yaris, leading for virtually the entire distance of the four-day gravel road encounter to claim his first Finland success by 32.7sec.
Mads Østberg fended off three-time Finland winner Jari-Matti Latvala in a thrilling Power Stage shootout to deny Toyota Gazoo Racing a 1-2 finish. The Norwegian, driving a Citroën C3, edged Latvala by 2.8sec.
Thierry Neuville retained the championship lead despite a lowly ninth place finish in his Hyundai i20.
Tänak won the Power Stage to claim five bonus points. Østberg took four points for second with Latvala scoring three in third. Neuville and Craig Breen, driving a C3, took two and one point respectively.
Round nine of the 2018 WRC will be Rally Germany on 16-19 August.
(Full report to come)
1. Ott Tänak (Toyota) 2:35:18.1
2. Mads Ostberg (Citroén) +32.7
3. Jari-Matti Latvala (Toyota) +35.5
4. Hayden Paddon (Hyundai) +1:35.6
5. Sébastien Ogier (M-Sport) +2:15.0
6. Teemu Suninen (M-Sport) +2:19.2
7. Elfyn Evans (M-Sport) +2:29.5
8. Craig Breen (Citroén) +3:08.4
9. Thierry Neuville (Hyundai) +3:51.8
10. Andreas Mikkelsen (Hyundai) +8:37.4
2018 WRC Drivers’ Standings (after Rd 8):
1. Thierry Neuville 153
2. Sébastien Ogier 132
3. Ott Tanak 107
4. Esapekka Lappi 70
5. Dani Sordo 60
6. Mikkelsen 57
7. Jari-Matti Latvala 55
8. Elfyn Evans 52
9. Mads Østberg 48
10. Kris Meeke 43
2018 WRC Manufacturers’ Standings (after Rd 8):
1 Hyundai WRT 228 points
2 M-Sport Ford WRT 202
3 Toyota Gazoo Racing 201
4 Citroën Total Abu Dhabi WRT 153
Latest posts by Chris Nixon (see all)
- NEUVILLE WINS IN WORLD RALLY CORSICA, EVANS LOSES IN LAST-STAGE HEARTBREAK - April 1, 2019
- MEEKE TOPS CORSICA WARM-UP - March 29, 2019
- OGIER CONFIDENT ON ‘HOME ROUND’ IN CORSICA - March 28, 2019