OTT Tänak led a Toyota Gazoo Racing 1-2 in Thursday morning’s shakedown at ADAC Rallye Deutschland.
Coming off the back of a dominant victory in Finland last month, the Estonian quickly mastered the change from gravel to asphalt to stop the clocks 0.2sec quicker than teamate Jari-Matti Latvala in the 5.52km St Wendeler Land speed test.
“We did only one run, came back to service and went again. Obviously we’ve not been driving on asphalt for quite a long time,” the Yaris driver said.
Sébastien Ogier was fastest through the opening two passes in his Ford Fiesta, before Tänak moved top in his third and final run.
Ogier’s last attempt was his fastest and looked good enough for second until Latvala demoted him in his fourth and final run. The gap between them was 0.4sec.
Championship leader Thierry Neuville was 0.1 sec slower than Ogier in fourth, 0.2sec clear of Hyundai i20 teammate Dani Sordo.
Craig Breen, driving a Citroën C3, and Elfyn Evans, in a Fiesta, tied in sixth.
Mads Østberg spun his C3 during his first pass while both Sordo and Ogier hit hay bales.
Top 10 Shakedown times:
1. Ott Tänak (Toyota Yaris) 2min 52.9sec
2. Jari-Matti Latvala (Toyota Yaris) + 0.2sec
3. Sébastien Ogier (Ford Fiesta) + 0.6sec
4. Thierry Neuville (Hyundai i20) + 0.7sec
5. Dani Sordo (Hyundai i20) + 0.9sec
6= Craig Breen (Citroën C3) + 1.4sec
6= Elfyn Evans (Ford Fiesta) + 1.4sec
8. Esapekka Lappi (Toyota Yaris) +1.8sec
9. Mads Østberg (Citroën C3) + 2.5sec
10. Teemu Suninen (Ford Fiesta) + 3.0sec
Latest posts by Chris Nixon (see all)
- VIDEO: AUSSIE SAILOR SPITHILL KICKS UP THE DIRT - June 20, 2019
- SORDO WINS IN WORLD RALLY ITALY; CRUEL BLOW FOR TÄNAK - June 17, 2019
- SORDO WINS IN ITALY; TÄNAK HEARTBREAK - June 16, 2019