HYUNDAI’S Dani Sordo has lost his podium finish at Rally Guanajuato Mexico after receiving a two-minute penalty for using one more tyre than allowed during the four-day event.
The penalty relegated the Spaniard from third to fourth and promoted M-Sport’s Mads Østberg to third. Just 1.5sec split the pair in the revised classification.
Rally stewards received a report from the FIA Technical Delegate stating that Sordo used 29 tyres, one more than authorised.
Team principal Michel Nandan and team manager Alain Penasse told stewards that due to a communication error three new and two used tyres were assigned to Sordo’s i20 in a tyre fitting zone instead of three used and two new items.
(Revised) Overall Final Classification:
1. M. Latvala / M. Anttila (Volkswagen Polo R WRC) 4:25:57.4
2. Ogier / J. Ingrassia (Volkswagen Polo R WRC) +1:05.0
3. Østberg / O. Floene (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) +5:36.4
4. Sordo / M. Martí (Hyundai New Generation i20 WRC) +5:37.9
5. Paddon / J. Kennard (Hyundai New Generation i20 WRC) +6:22.6
5. Tanak / R. Molder (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) +9:59.5
7. Prokop / J. Tomanek (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) +12:58.5
8. Bertelli / S. Scattolin (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) +14:09.6
9. Suninen / M. Markkula (Škoda Fabia R5) +18:01.8
10. Gorban / V. Korsia (MINI Countryman WRC) +32:37.3
(Revised) 2016 FIA World Rally Championship for Drivers’ Standings:
- Ogier 77 points
- Østberg 42
- Mikkelsen 33
- Sordo 30
- Paddon 29
- M. Latvala 27
- Tanak 24
- Neuville 15
- Lefebvre 10
- Solberg 6
(Revised) 2016 FIA World Rally Championship for Manufacturers’ Standings:
1. Volkswagen Motorsport 97 points
2. Hyundai Motorsport 61
3. M-Sport World Rally Team 46
4. Volkswagen Motorsport II 30
5. DMACK World Rally Team 26