(EVENT RELEASE, 26/7/2013) TWO spectacular cars that thrilled World Rally crowds in the infamous Group B rally era almost 30 years ago will return for a special appearance at Coates Hire Rally Australia in September.
The MG Metro 6R4 and Audi quattro S1 are among the fastest and most powerful rally cars ever made, but their run ended when motorsport authorities killed off Group B after 1986 because of dangerous speeds and several serious crashes.
Such cars have almost never been seen on traditional gravel rallies in Australia, but will make their debuts in the Classic category of Coates Hire Rally Australia on selected stages including the nightly ARMOR ALL Super Special Stage and Wedding Bells stage, where the Flooded Gum Rally Village will be located on Sunday.
Coates Hire Rally Australia, Round 10 of the 2013 FIA World Rally Championship, will be staged on the New South Wales Coffs Coast on 12-15 September.
Tickets are on sale now at www.rallyaustralia.com.au.
The Metro 6R4 and quattro S1 heading for Rally Australia are owned by Australian collector Dave Thompson and will be driven by him and leading Classic competitor Stewart Reid.
“These are legendary cars from a golden era that will never be repeated,” Rally Australia Event Manager David Catchpole said.
“Movies have been made about Group B cars. They are remembered for their fire-spitting exhausts and the huge wings needed to keep up to 650 horsepower in control – and now we will see them at Coates Hire Rally Australia.
“To rally fans, they alone will be worth the price of a ticket, but I’m sure every spectator will get a thrill when they see these classic machines fly into action.”
The Metro 6R4 was built by the Williams Formula 1 team. Thompson’s example contested the 1986 World Rally Championship.
His Audi is a faithful replica of the model that appeared in 1984. It features the shortened chassis, big wings and distinctive five-cylinder turbo engine that helped make the S1 an unstoppable force in the World Rally Championship.
Entries are now open for Coates Hire Rally Australia for cars contesting the World Rally Championship, East Coast Bullbars Australian Rally Championship, Classic Rally Challenge and Side-by-Side Challenge.
Rally Australia also will host a round of the Australian Off Road Championship over a separate course on 14-15 September.
The Group B demonstrations will be part of a big line-up of entertainment at Coates Hire Rally Australia.
Entertainment highlights will include –
- The Red Bull Stunt Plane – Friday and Saturday over the Rally Hub and Sunday over the Flooded Gum Rally Village spectator point
- The RAAF Roulettes stunt team – Friday and Saturday over the Rally Hub and Sunday over the Flooded Gum Rally Village spectator point
- Freestyle Moto-X, featuring X Games gold medalist and Nitro Circus star Cam Sinclair – Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Rally Hub
- Samantha Jade – 2012 X Factor, performing at the Rally Hub on Saturday night
- Thunderstruck – AC/DC tribute band, performing at the Rally Hub on Friday night
- Skydivers over the Rally Hub
- Live TV on a giant Screen at the Rally hub
- The Cloud 9 Ultimate Destination premium viewing facility
Latest posts by Chris Nixon (see all)
- COOL NEUVILLE NETS SNOWY SWEDEN VICTORY TO CLAIM WRC LEAD FROM OGIER - February 19, 2018
- ATKO BACK IN A SUBARU RALLY CAR FOR USA SERIES - February 18, 2018
- NEUVILLE POISED FOR SWEDEN WIN; BREEN CLIMBS TO 2ND - February 18, 2018