THE countdown is on for the start of the 2018 FIA World Rally Championship in Monte-Carlo in less than two weeks’ time following a spectacular season launch at the Autosport International show in Birmingham yesterday.
PHOTO: The 2018 WRC crews and cars line up for the season launch at Autosport International (WRC pic)
Rallye Monte-Carlo will start on Thursday 25 January in Monaco’s glamorous Casino Square and finish on Sunday in front of the Royal Palace, with expectations that new driver line-ups, upgraded cars, more sponsor investment and a ground-breaking new all-stages broadcast-coverage plan will lift the competition to even greater levels after a thrilling 2017 season.
The 13-round championship will finish at Kennards Hire Rally Australia on the New South Wales Coffs on 15-18 November.
Manufacturer teams representing Citroën, Hyundai, M-Sport Ford and Toyota provided a first public look at their re-liveried 2018 World Rally Cars as they lined up side-by-side on the Autosport International stage during a day dubbed Takeover Thursday. The prestigious show traditionally kick-starts the international motorsport season and the WRC staged its official launch there for the first time.
The four-day event was opened by five-time World Rally Champion Sébastien Ogier and his co-driver Julien Ingrassia, who were joined by all the teams’ crews and principals to share their views on the new season.
Major news from launch-day activities included:
• WRC Promoter, the championship’s commercial rights holder, announced ground-breaking plans to show live coverage of every special stage from every rally – including Rally Australia – as it happens. The new WRC All Live service will offer more than 25 hours’ coverage from each round as a continuous live stream, including expert analysis from the WRC’s TV studio and breaking news, interviews and reactions from across the service park.
• Ford announced extended support to M-Sport, winner of both the drivers’ and manufacturers’ titles in 2017. The renamed M-Sport Ford World Rally Team will receive additional technical help from Ford Performance in USA, as well as extra financial backing.
• Mads Østberg will join Citroën Total Abu Dhabi World Rally Team for Rally Sweden (15-18 February). The Norwegian and co-driver Torstein Eriksen will drive a third C3 alongside Kris Meeke and Craig Breen. “We’re talking about further rallies but nothing has been confirmed,” Østberg said.
• Ott Tänak and Martin Järveoja made their first official appearance in Toyota Gazoo Racing colours after joining the Finnish-based team from M-Sport for 2018.
• Dani Sordo appeared with new co-driver Carlos del Barrio. Del Barrio, who previously partnered his fellow Spaniard between 2011-2013, replaces Marc Marti alongside Sordo at Hyundai Motorsport.
WRC Promoter managing director Oliver Ciesla said there was no better place to launch the championship.
“Takeover Thursday provided a marvellous opportunity to showcase the 2018 WRC to a global media audience. It was a fitting way to kick-off the new season and raise the anticipation ahead of the opening round in a couple of weeks. Let battle commence!” he said.
With conditions ranging from snow and ice to high-altitude, tarmac, gravel and sub-tropical, the WRC is the world’s most challenging international series for production-based cars.
2018 FIA World Rally Championship calendar –
25-28 January: Monte-Carlo
15-18 February: Sweden
8-11 March: Mexico
5-8 April: France
26- 29 April: Argentina
17-20 May: Portugal
7-10 June: Italy
26-29 July: Finland
16 -19 August: Germany
13-16 September: Turkey
4-7 October: Great Britain
25-28 October: Spain
15-18 November: Kennards Hire Rally Australia
Latest posts by Chris Nixon (see all)
- TÄNAK WINS HOME EVENT IN FINLAND DRESS-REHEARSAL - July 16, 2018
- RALEIGH SPECIAL STAGE AN ACTION ATTRACTION FOR WRC RALLY AUSTRALIA FANS - July 15, 2018
- RALLY GUIDE 1 NOW AVAILABLE - July 10, 2018