SIX-time FIA World Rally Champion Sébastien Ogier has confirmed he’ll retire from the series at the end of 2020, thus foregoing a chance to match the record nine titles of countryman Sébastien Loeb.
PHOTO: Jaanus Ree/Red Bull Content Pool
Ogier, currently second to Ott Tänak as he chases a seventh FIA world drivers’ championship – which would equal the tally of Michael Schumacher in Formula 1 – made the announcement about his career at the recent Neste Rally Finland.
It confirmed a statement he made before beginning a two-year contract with the Citroën this year that it would be his last in the WRC. Therefore the most titles Ogier can earn is eight.
Recently he was announced as an ambassador and adviser to the planned Extreme E series for electric off-road vehicles.
“I have said that many times. People keep asking me, maybe they don’t believe me. It was never my plan to stay after next year, the deal with Citroën was always a straight two-year agreement,” said the Frenchman, who clinched his sixth title at Kennards Hire Rally Australia last year.
“I’m happy to be involved (in Extreme E) because I like the idea of the project and that (driving) could become the plan for me, but at the moment it’s about being involved in the creation of it,” he told Autosport magazine.
Latest posts by Chris Nixon (see all)
- CATCH HIM WHILE YOU CAN: OGIER TO QUIT WRC AFTER 2020 - August 15, 2019
- NEUVILLE SWITCHES TO NÜRBURGRING FOR HYUNDAI TCR DEBUT - August 14, 2019
- IT’S OFFICIAL – WIN A RALLY CAR RIDE ON THE SUPER SPECIAL STAGE - August 9, 2019