A MAJOR upgrade of the route for Kennards Hire Rally Australia will deliver big new thrills for spectators and even greater challenges for drivers when the FIA World Rally Championship returns for its 2018 finale on the New South Wales Coffs Coast in November.
PHOTO (click to download): “Flying Finn” Jari-Matti Latvala will be bidding to add Kennards Hire Rally Australia to his list of World Rally Championship victories (Jeremy Rogers pic)
All but eight of the 24 competition stages covering 317 kilometres is new or changed, while a highlight will be a higher, longer jump on the rally-closing Wedding Bells Power Stage before a podium ceremony at the biggest forest spectator point.
Tickets to the 26th WRC Rally Australia on 15-18 November are on sale from today, with the least-expensive costing just $29 and a buy-one-get-one-free bonus on a $99 3-day pass until 31 July. Comprehensive information for ticket buyers including point-of-view videos, directions, times, facilities, nearby tourist attractions and other details for every spectating location can be viewed on the event website rallyaustralia.com.au.
The world’s fastest rally cars and drivers, including five-time champion Sébastien Ogier, last year’s Australia winner and current championship winner Thierry Neuville, Finnish star Jari-Matti Latvala and Mads Østberg of Norway, promise a heart-stopping display of high-speed action on forestry and rural roads near the Coffs Harbour event base.
“Kennards Hire Rally Australia will be the biggest rally event of the year in this part of the world and the climax to one of the most exciting world championship seasons in recent seasons,” event Chairman Ben Rainsford said.
“Series leader Thierry Neuville and his nearest rival Sébastien Ogier are going to battle all the way to the last stage in Australia. We couldn’t be more excited about the contest to come and the new route our sporting organisers have devised to test men and machines to the limits.
“To be able to see every stage of this spectacle for as little as $99 for two adult, go-everywhere tickets in one of Australia’s most inviting tourist regions, within easy weekend reach of Sydney, Brisbane and many other centres, is a chance not to be missed.”
Highlights of the most heavily-revised Rally Australia in years will include –
• The traditional Ceremonial Start and Rally Show on Thursday afternoon 15 November will be in a new waterside location near the iconic Coffs Harbour Jetty. Free entry.
• The Destination New South Wales Super Special Stage will return on Friday and Saturday nights on the same 1.27 km road beside Coffs Harbour, but drivers will face new obstacles in the form of two jumps and a water splash.
• 16 daytime stages will be new, using different roads or sections of former roads in reverse direction.
Wedding Bells18, the last stage of the rally and the WRC season, will be run in reverse with a longer, higher jump at the popular Forests NSW Rally Village.
• The podium presentation ceremony will be moved to the Forests NSW Rally Village from its former Coffs Harbour CBD venue.
• The longest stage will be the 28.84 km Argents Hill Reverse on Saturday, using more than half the roads of the former Nambucca stage, regarded as one of the WRC’s most challenging.
• Saturday’s 1.97 km Raleigh stage will be run twice for the first time, offering spectators close-up, elevated views of the action and easy highway access from Coffs Harbour. This is the best spectator area to bring the kids and spend the day.
• Rally Central will be the new name for the busy competitors’ service hub at the C.ex Coffs International Stadium. As well as chances to see drivers and cars up close, Rally Central will be the place to get food, drink and souvenirs and enjoy many entertainment attractions. Free entry.
Tickets to Kennards Hire Rally Australia are available through the official website rallyaustralia.com.au or directly from Ticketek.com.
On-line purchase options are –
• Ultimate Get Me Everywhere Pass*: Adult $99, 2-for-1 offer until 31 July, entry to all stages.
• East My Dust Pass*: Adult $39, daytime stages on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
• Race Around the Harbour Pass: Adult $29, Child over 12 years $10, Child under 12 years Free, Destination NSW Super Special Stage on Friday or Saturday.
• VIP Hospitality: Destination NSW Super Special Stage Adult (only) $265 Friday or Saturday; Wedding Bells, Adult (only) $320 Sunday.
* Spectators aged 18 years and under enter daytime forest/rural special stages Free.
Latest posts by Chris Nixon (see all)
- FAN ALERT: WRC Rally Australia TV highlights on 7mate Friday - December 7, 2018
- TÄNAK CLAIMS TOP WRC DRIVER HAT-TRICK AT SYDNEY AWARDS NIGHT - November 20, 2018
- TRANSCRIPT: FIA POST-EVENT PRESS CONFERENCE - November 18, 2018