(5/9/2013) IF everything goes well, Sebastien Ogier could put the WRC drivers title beyond reach at Coates Hire Rally Australia. Here the Frenchman’s Volkswagen-Motorsport team gives 10 good reasons he is champion material.
1. His mind: 100% concentration. Ogier’s talent of being able to shut out all distractions during the race is unique in the WRC field.
2. His driving technique: Ogier is a typical product of the French school of driving. He is extremely focused and dissects each stage with almost clinical precision.
3. His co-driver: Julien Ingrassia. The successful pair now has their seventh year (often when the “seven year itch” sets in) behind them. Experience in the rallying world is often the key to success, including in the way the drivers work with each other.
4. His car: The Polo R WRC is quick, very quick – and this is only its first year on every terrain. A masterful performance. The Polo has already won five out of the seven WRC races and half of all the stages.
5. His fitness: Also essential for car racers. When Ogier isn’t sitting in the hard bucket seat of his Polo R WRC, he’s giving it his all in the fitness studio and his running shoes: over 15 hours a week. The experts at the Bad Nauheim sports clinic also provide nutrition plans to make sure Ogier isn’t just piling his plate high with fries every day.
6. His team: Motorsport is a team sport. A total of approx. 120 hands and smart minds work together on the WRC project at Volkswagen Motorsport like cogs in a Swiss clock. “A driver is nothing without his team,” says the WC leader.
7. His patience: A virtue that Séb Ogier had to practice all last year. As preparation for this season, he drove all the 2012 rallies in the slower Super-2000 Skoda. The fast-paced Frenchman only drove the quick Polo R WRC for the first time at the start of 2013.
8. His enthusiasm: You can see this when he’s on the podium. His coolness and concentration in the race is balanced out by his exuberance on the podium. So keep an eye out for those huge champagne showers.
9. His family: Always there in the front row. In the bitter cold of Sweden, his mother, father and sister stood by the edge of the route to will him on. Result: his first victory!
10. His charm: Not exactly a key requirement for drivers. But not a bad thing in the rallying world. And the women find it attractive as well.
Latest posts by Chris Nixon (see all)
- TÄNAK’S GERMANY WIN LIGHTS WORLD RALLY TITLE FIGHT ON COUNTDOWN TO AUSTRALIA - August 20, 2018
- TITLE FIGHT HOTS UP AS TÄNAK REPEATS GERMANY WIN - August 19, 2018
- OGIER ERROR LEAVES TÄNAK CLEAR IN GERMANY - August 19, 2018